The Keystone Clean Water Team was invited to Big Bass Lake to discuss groundwater and private well issues with the Association. Great event and a beautiful community in the Poconos in Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania. The presenter was board member and manager Mr. Brian Oram from B.F. Environmental Consultants, Inc. During the presentation, we discussed:
a. Need for private well owners to be proactive.
b. The connection between groundwater and surface water.
c. Private well water testing – common problems and basic solutions.
d. The real hazards in a community may include other private wells.
e. Introduced the Know Your H2O? Program
Very solid Event. A Private Well Owner Presentation is available for review.
Our Educational Booklet on Drinking Water
Know Your H2O? Program
OuR PSAs on Water
Why Should I Test My Well Water?
Mail Order Water Testing Program
Get Your Community Hazard Report for Real Estate Properties (USA Search- Custom Reports).
Most Common Questions
1. How to Shock Disinfect a Well?
2. Where do I get sanitizing tablets? (Follow link or check with local well drilling contractor)
3. Is radon in water an issue? Maybe – get more information, but first priority is to get the radon level check and run a long-term radon test. Radon by zip code (PA).
4. Red water – is the only solution a water softener?
5. My water is great but it turns blue and tastes metallic?
6. My water stinks. What is up?
7. I have a bacteria problem – do i need to install a UV system and spend $ 1500.00. Maybe- but first you should do the following:
a. Inspect the wellhead or top of the well – Is the casing above grade or below. If below grade, it would be advisable to hirer a well drilling contract to extend the casing at least 18 inches above grade.
b. Does water sit near the wellhead? – if so – divert the water.
c. Do you have a sanitary well cap? No sure – this is a sanitary well cap. Do you have one? If not install one.
d. Shock disinfect well and distribution system – see link above with video.
e. Retest – you may need to shock disinfect twice. Example – See Case # 3
Interested in a Community Based Educational Water Testing program for Big Bass Lake – Contact us.
We could use your help – Here is How.
Big Bass Lake Community Association is not just another Pocono Mountain Resort. We are an award winning and Gold Star Certified premier Community located in the Pocono Mountains.